10 August 2009

After surgery - scar treatment

I personally subscribe to the idea that scars give you something to talk about and are a sign of your past. I take pride in my scars (mainly because they tell a story). Some great do's & dont's from a fitnessmagazine.com article are listed here: DON'T expose new scars to the sun. Ultraviolet rays can slow the healing process and, since they stimulate melanocytes (the cells that produce pigment), can cause dark discoloration. When you're outdoors, always slather on a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher. to try: Neutrogena Healthy Defense Oil-Free Sunblock SPF 30 and L'Oréal Ombrelle Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30. DO gently massage the mark once the surface is completely healed. "Massage helps break down the dense bands of collagen that attach to underlying tissue—a common reaction to cesarean sections, appendectomies or hand wounds," notes Robert Bernard, M.D., a plastic surgeon based in White Plains, New York, and president-elect of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Once skin has grown over the site, gently massage the area with lotion in a circular manner for 15 to 30 seconds a few times a day. Another preemptive strike: Apply Mederma*, a nonprescription ointment that contains onion extract, which has been shown to inhibit the formation of collagen.

DON'T treat with vitamin E. Despite what your grandmother may have told you, vitamin E has been shown in a University of Miami study to impair wound healing. (In addition, one-third of the patients tested also developed an allergic reaction.)

DO ask your physician to remove external stitches before they leave "track" marks. To prevent those little bumps that form on either side of the incision and become permanent reminders, Dr. Bernard routinely removes stitches after a week. (full article online at fitnessmagazine.com)

*For my first ACL surgery in 1997, I used Vitamin E capsules. I would pierce a whole into the tiny capsule and use the pure Vitamin E oil on my scar. The above information suggests NOT to do this, but I had no negative reaction to this treatment. I don't recall putting anything on my scar from my 2nd ACL surgery besides lotion, and that scar has healed just fine. It is a relatively thick scar (maybe a 1/4 inch wide) but it is not discolored at all. For my most recent ACI surgery, since my scar is 6+ inches in length I decided to be more proactive in my scar reduction efforts. I have been using Mederma (not as often as is suggested) since my doctor gave me the OK. I have been happy with it, but agree with several online reviews that it is a bit pricey for a small amount. I will also agree that a small amount goes a long way. I have two tubes, one at home and one at work. I do try to apply it with some regularity and I am now almost 9 months post op and I still have a decent amount in both tubes. I think the most important feature of Mederma is that you are applying a nourishing substance and massaging the scar multiple times a day, which helps breakdown the scar tissue underneath the scar, which is crucial.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I was wondering if you saw a difference on your scar between Vitamin E and Mederma use. Was there a difference? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete